memories in a poem

May be this is not a appropriate title, or may be it is. This poem is dedicated to my grandmother (my nanima). I have a few handful memories of her, and i want to write them down, so that i can never forget it. Just something concrete, like carved on a stone. Because on days, when emotional turbulence in your life takes you for a long ride, you get these thoughts, that you will go insane, your memory will lose you & you will get lost somewhere between finding your life again. And that is why i want to record these memories. My nanima is very much close to my heart.

But back to happy thoughts. From what i remember, my nanima was a very beautiful woman. She gifted me my first purse and i remember that there were always chocolates in her purse.

So here is a prose-poem for her.

PS :- Big thanks to SM for checking the poem. Heart you girl.

Did my grandmother cook anything ?
I try to conjure up her image from the hazy memories I have
and I remember her soft eyes and a halo around her
there are just a few memories I have
I can count on my fingers
my first purse, paan flavored candy in her purse,
her innocence
I want to remember her more
I strain my mind, and close my eyes
in the lost castles of memories I try to seek her again
I find her hand written recipes,
and a few books,
I knew she was a good cook,
I can picture her sitting in the big kitchen,
comfortable with smoke and spices,
would she have tied her wishes to her saree's end,
and lived  life for others ?


I remembered the embroidered blue saree.
the dancing paisley shape on it,
they are my permanent memory I have with her,
I remember my last meal with her,
kadhi and shrikand I remember,
the taste still lingers in my mind
I met her again on a cold January midnight
but she wouldn’t wake up then,
she is very much alive in my mind,
like that incomplete book you are longing to read.



Comments

  1. would she have tied her wishes to her saree's end//// lovely and made me cry to remember my Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely...memories are beautiful tapestries that give meaning to our existential struggles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts & Review on- Pinto has an idea by Rajeev Saxena

Now a woman is a poem...

Burden of being lovers